[ut2003io] Installing on Debian unstable

abower at thebowery.co.uk abower at thebowery.co.uk
Tue Oct 14 07:46:30 EDT 2003

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 09:40:41AM +1000, Andrew Pilley wrote:

> you could probably do the same with a debian stable install as well.
> just get enough to get X11 running, install ut2003, then copy the game
> directory over. keep in mind the autoupdater might not be particularly
> happy after that tho, since you'll be missing stuff from ~/.loki/ (as
> the user who installed ut2003) but if you recreate the
> ~/.loki/installed/ut2003.xml symlink to
> /usr/local/games/ut2003/.manifest/ut2003.xml that should do the trick.

Ok, what I did was....

Installed Debian stable into a vmware virtual machine, installed the game as
normal (and updated it) then nfs mounted /usr/local/games/ut2003 onto the
local machine and copied everything across into /usr/local/games/ut2003 I also
then copied across the .loki from the virtual machine and everything appears
(so far) to be working great :) I even think the 2 bonus pack installed ok
(despite giving an odd error message at the end of the install).

Of course now i have a new problem in that the sound doesn't work, It is
very quiet and appears to have crackles in it but I can't really tell.

I am of course running Alsa 0.9.6, on a 2.4.22 series kernel, I havn't had time
to check *everything* yet, but it doesn't appear to be anything obvious like
having the mixer volume turned down :)

Thanks
Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li