[ut2003io] Unreal 2

D. Olson dana at mandrakeusers.org
Fri Jan 17 06:55:41 EST 2003

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:33:47 +0100
Michiel El Muerte Hendriks <elmuerte at el-muerte.student.utwente.nl>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 08:32:48PM -0500, D. Olson wrote:
> > Is it up to Epic? If so, they said that we (Linux users) should
> > get a client if they were gonna make a server for Linux too. And I
> > totally agree with that - it's been far too long that we get
> > servers only. And UT was a fantastic game with lots of
> > replayability. I still play it. UT2003 was a good title to get for
> > Linux.
>
> If the dedicated server is a requirement for a Linux port, how will
> I ever be able to replace my Windows machine. It may be a little
> late for Unreal 2 to get Linux support, but I realy think that epic
> should start to support Linux natively. The main reason me and my
> friend have a dual boot for Win98 is that we like to play games, and
> we are not alone.
>
> --
> Michiel "El Muerte" Hendriks            elmuerte at drunksnipers.com
> TDS - Internet Services                 http://www.drunksnipers.com

I didn't say it was a *requirement*. I obviously can't speak for
Legend or Epic, but what I'm saying is that when I read the comments
by Mark Rein on the forums, he stated his opinion that we should get a
client if we're getting a server, basically in the interest of
fairness.

So what I'm saying is, that one motivating factor is missing from
Unreal 2.

But I still hope someone ports it, or someone "makes it work" in
Linux. And this isn't counting Transgaming, Codeweavers, or any other
Wine-based company like that.

As for my gaming fix, there is LGP; and Sony. Playstations are cheap,
and PS2s are dropping (slowly).

--
D. Olson
The Mandrake eXPerience

"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It's where
belief stops, because it isn't needed any more."