[ut2003io] Choppy w/Radeon 8500

Mike Palmer mike at linux.dustsmoke.com
Tue Jan 7 15:52:20 EST 2003

> Neil Gower wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to run ut2003 on a RH7.2 machine, Athlon XP 1800+, 512MB
>> DDR, Radeon 8500 128M.  I've installed all of the latest patches (2166)
>> via the updater.  Trouble is, even if I crank everything way down
>> (640x480, lowest settings or disabled for all details, etc, although
>> resolution doesn't seem to matter), the game often gets choppy.  It's
>> especially noticably on DM-Antalus, whenever the big white spikes in
>> the center of the map are on screen.
>>
>>I'm using ATI's latest linux drivers, v2.5.1.  Other games work fine,
>> like UT and Quake 3, and I know my libGL is hardware accelerated,
>> because Heavy Gear 2 won't even start if it's not.  I looked through
>> /var/log/XFree86.0.log and didn't notice any errors or other weirdness.
>> I'm using the latest stock RH7.2 kernel, "2.4.18-19.7.x".
>>
>>Thoughts or advice?  Is my machine fast enough to expect smooth
>> gameplay on maps like DM-Antalus?  Any help is greatly appreciated.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Neil.
>>

> Hi Neil
>
> I'm playing with a Athlon-xp 1600+ and a Geforce4 TI4200 64mb and works
> fine

Well, mostly your problem is the ati drivers. ATI is really lacking in
performance under linux as opposed to nvidia based gpu's. Hopefully the
ati drivers mature enough to where the full ability of your card is
utilized. But as of right now my gf2mx400 will benchmark as hight or
higher than your 8500. my ti4600 really kills it.

ut2003 is much harder on a system than any of the original loki ports.