[ut2003io] Performance probs II -- please help

Jeff Woods klaatu at fnordco.com
Mon Feb 24 20:40:44 EST 2003

bPreloadAllSkins may actually *increase* your load time, because it
loads all the player models and skins into memory when the map loads.

The purpose of bPreloadAllSkins is to prevent the "hitching" that
occurs in-game when a new player joins the server and the client has
to load the new player's skin into memory.

My advice is to free up as much memory as possible. If you are using
KDE, I would advise switching to a light window manager for gaming, as
KDE is a memory hog.

I use IceWM (www.icewm.org) which is a very functional, yet very
lightweight window manager.

---