[ut2003io] radeon 9700

Paul Berger sanepsycho at globaldialog.com
Sun Feb 2 21:09:51 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-02-02 at 18:56, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
> > So from my experience it appears that *something* is chewing up CPU in
> > the rendering pipeline someplace.  The OpenGL render in UT2003 is known
> > to be not terribly efficent at this point, but systems with similar
> > specs running nVidia cards appear to get higher frame rates.
>
> Remember that using a faster CPU or overclocking might get you a
> noticibly better framerate even if it _IS_ a driver bottleneck...some
> drivers might use a software fallback if a game hits an unoptimized
> codepath.

Which is why I said *something* is chewing up CPU in the rendering
pipeline someplace.  It could very well be the driver, one thing that
might help would be running the demo in "flat texture" mode ... you can
turn that on from the console, but I don't know if it's possible in the
config.  If there is a significant jump in FPS then it's a driver/card
issue I would think.

> I can't speak for ATI's drivers directly, but this seems to be a
> possibility here

Linux drivers are pretty new for ATI, so it's possible.  Another
possibility is to use Xig's drivers and see if there is a difference.
They have demo drivers I seem to remember, it may be worth trying it
out.  Like I said nVidia card users seem to get by with similar systems
and have higher frame rates.

Paul