[ut2003io] radeon 9700

Ryan C. Gordon ryan at epicgames.com
Sun Feb 2 19:56:33 EST 2003

> So from my experience it appears that *something* is chewing up CPU in
> the rendering pipeline someplace.  The OpenGL render in UT2003 is known
> to be not terribly efficent at this point, but systems with similar
> specs running nVidia cards appear to get higher frame rates.

Remember that using a faster CPU or overclocking might get you a
noticibly better framerate even if it _IS_ a driver bottleneck...some
drivers might use a software fallback if a game hits an unoptimized
codepath.

I can't speak for ATI's drivers directly, but this seems to be a
possibility here.

--ryan.