loki_update on SuSE 8.2

Mike Palmer stuff at dustsmoke.com
Thu Aug 14 02:35:26 EDT 2003

How would you go about updating ut2003 from a fresh install using SuSE 8.2
if you installed as root (/usr/local/games/ut2003) instead of user home?

I suppose SuSE doesn't let the root account access the X server so it
doesn't work.

../update
Searching for installed products... done!
Xlib: No protocol specified

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0

Is there a way to do the update in text mode using loki_update or update?
Or would I have to download the tar file and manually apply the patch
instead of using the nifty updater?