[ut2003io] DesiredRefreshRatedoesn'twork

Matthew Arnold marnold at ez-net.com
Fri Apr 4 21:56:55 EST 2003

floam wrote:
> I have it set to 85 in my UT2003.ini, but it still runs at 60hz. Running
> 2199 and xfree 4.3, 4349 nvidia drivers, glibc 2.3.2, and just about
> latest everything.  Any ideas?

The latest SDL and XFree86 4.3 don't play together nicely. If the
resolution in the game is different from what your desktop resolution is,
the refresh rate will go all wonky. For me, it usually goes too low (like
you, mine should be 85 but it drops to 60). Others on the Neverwinter
Nights Linux forum have reported that it boosts the refresh rate until it
is out of the monitor's range. Sounds like an opportunity for a toasted
monitor.

I posted about this on the SDL developer's mailing list. Someone else
posted about this about a month ago. Unfortunately, no one "in the know"
has bothered to respond to either request. I really don't know where to go
with this from here. It's frustrating when you give a detailed bug report
but it gets ignored. That's sad because it affects every SDL-based game in
fullscreen mode for me.

At any rate, I found a temporary workaround. Use ctrl/alt/- to change your
desktop resolution to the resolution you play at before you launch the
game. Since SDL doesn't have to try to change resolutions, it can't screw
it up.

Matt