[ut2003io] radeon

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Sat Sep 28 15:04:31 EDT 2002

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002, Chunky Kibbles wrote:

> Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 01:21:34 -0400
> From: Chunky Kibbles <chunky at icculus.org>
> To: ut2003 at icculus.org
> Subject: Re: [ut2003io] radeon
>
> On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 09:47:24PM -0600, Jon Trulson wrote:
> > 	Well, I have to admit, it *is* actually mentioned, once you weed
> > through all of the DRI (which doesn't support s3tc), myth2, and nvidia
> > entries... ;-)
> >
> > 	I'm guessing that you really like Nvidia cards?
>
> Actually, I must fess up that most of the childish catty comments
> against Radeons were mine.
>
> I, personally, tend to favor whatever works best at the time. I bought
> an nv card a while ago because it was far-and-away the best option for
> linux at the time.

	Yep.. makes sense ;-)  Use what works for you.

> The reason for my catty comments was that, all things considered, the
> nvidias are still the best option for playing games in linux; for the
> same performance, the cost of drivers+hardware+easeofuse is still
> lower for nvidia cards. My comments are catty because, quite frankly,
> I'm bored of the ATI zealots telling me their cards are so much better
> "with open-source drivers" or "a technically faster architecture",
> when in practice, the cards don't play the games as fast. If at all.

	Oh, I understand... I agree for the most part... I did sense a
distinctly anti-ATI bias, and was just trying to figure out where it came
from.  Nvidia makes great cards, and the drivers Nvidia supplies for them
are better than any of the other vendor supplied drivers (IMO).  As for
the open source drivers... no comment ;-)

Jon Trulson    mailto:jon at radscan.com
ID: 1A9A2B09, FP: C23F328A721264E7 B6188192EC733962
PGP keys at http://radscan.com/~jon/PGPKeys.txt
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Bad Color Temperature, Too much Peach.