[ut2003io] SMP ?

Michael leahcim at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 23 14:55:01 EDT 2002

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 01:49:52PM -0400, Kevin Podbielniak wrote:
> Don't know if this helps,  but a few months back I sent an email to Epic
> asking if UT2k3 supported dual processors, and they told me that UT2k3 only
> supported single processors.
>
> I did some tests about 2 years back and the SBLive card did suck up alot of
> CPU cycles, and appeared to be more of a resource hog than other cards I
> tested (hercules and turtle beach).
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Your current rig should be sufficient, just not at 1280x1024.  :)

Dunno about 1280x1024, but I get the same performance at 640x480 to
1024x768 (testing with 6 or 12 bots) in fact the same performance on
asbestos with 2x anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering enabled (some
of the other levels are hit more with those enabled though) - it doesn't
seem graphics card bound - not for a ti4200 anyway.

I disabled coronas and projectors (they gave the biggest boost of the
detail settings), switched off music and the voice
taunts they all helped. Up to a server of about 8 folk it's fine
(except for the outside level), it's fine with the number of
bots in each level on 'instant play' - but get on a 16 player server, which
most seem to be, and performance quickly falls through the floor when
you need it most :o/

With the same settings in windows (opengl) you get a few more fps to
start with, but not enough to make a difference when it counts.

If anyone here has a ddr333/266 board / ti4200 and athlon 2000+ (or
close) I'd be interested to see your benchmark results - I'm hoping that
a mobo+ram upgrade will make the difference, as my board is sdram /
kt133a.

--
Michael.