SMP ?

NP ngp at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Sep 23 12:54:14 EDT 2002

Hi.

I have machine including a 1GHz Athlon, plenty of RAM, GeForce4 Ti4200,
SBLive!
I like the demo very much, but it suffers from a few slow downs in the
heat of battle (details at max, res. of 1280x, I think).

I'm thinking of upgrading/replacing this box, and until I recently read
a posting (I think it was one of Ryan's) about a sound driver taking a
lot of CPU time on one CPU of an SMP machine, I had been assuming there
probably wasn't much merit in forking out for a dual CPU machine for the
sake of gaming.  But this post got me wondering.

So I'm thinking along the lines of:

a) Asus A7V333, Athlon XP2100+, PC2700 RAM
or
b) Asus A7M266-D, dual Athlon MP1900+'s, PC2100 RAM

I wouldn't really be using this box for many demanding applications
other than gaming. just the occasional compile really.

Do you guys consider there's any merit in SMP over single CPU for gaming ?

Appologies in advance if you consider this off topic, I guess it's
slightly on / slightly off.  But I know you are good people to ask.

Many thanks.

-Nick.

PS.  Thanks to Ryan and others for the great game port and very
informative postings.  Great to see people catering for linux gamers and
doing a superb job of it.

Back to fighting with wine to get my mic working with HalfLife ...  (sigh)