[ut2003io] rollout of dedicated server

Andrew Pilley ashridah at cyber.com.au
Sun Sep 22 23:21:51 EDT 2002

On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 06:49:57PM -0700, Steve Pirk wrote:
> I would imagine that it would be available as soon
> as the retail one ships. Since they already have
> the ded server code on the CD.

mm. all you need to do is strip out the textures (which are by far the
biggest components i'm betting, being unbelievlably high res), the models
(except for the karma physics description (which is in xml) and base skeleton)
sounds, and quite a few of the libs.

i imagine you could cut it down to a few hundred megs, but that's based on
a huge amount of assumptions. it all depends on how long it takes them to
get there.

> You *may* have to copy the maps and other assets
> off of a retail CD tho... Would be a huge download
> if they tried to package that...

iirc, they've said it'll be a separate download. otherwise what's the point?
include a "server-only" install option. that's a real pain piping 3 cds worth
of stuff over to do a ded-serv install tho. much happier if i can just untar
a 400meg tarball. :)

Andrew 'ashridah' Pilley