[ut2003io] Odd solution

Ryan C. Gordon ryan at epicgames.com
Thu Sep 19 02:43:05 EDT 2002

scratch wrote:
> This is a bit OT, because it's utterly non-Linux, but seeing as this is the
> most knowledgable UT2K crew around, I thought I'd bend the rules for a quick
> question.

Software mixing is usually faster, since you aren't flooding the system
bus with audio data; you mix in main RAM and send the final stream to
the sound card once, instead of several streams and have the hardware
mix it (at least, that's my understanding of what "hardware sound" does).

The nforce motherboards have the audio chip on the northbridge, which
means you might be able to get around this, but most sounds cards don't
have this luxury.

--ryan.