[ut2003io] Linux Client Freezes

Michael leahcim at ntlworld.com
Sun Sep 15 19:50:27 EDT 2002

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 07:13:05PM -0400, Peter Kemmerer wrote:
> Nothing in syslog, or any of the other logs.  -nosound and/or -nomusic
> tried already, still have random crashes.  BIOS is set at least picky
> settings.  Board is an MSI KT7-266 Pro.  Kernel is 2.4.18.  This is a
> fresh install here too, no moldy oldie stuff hanging around, less than a
> week old.  Using nvidia Device in XF86Config-4, no changes from
> defaults.  http://www.icculus.org/lgfaq/files/nv_check.sh says my
> installation is fine.
>
> I'd be happy to answer any specific questions if you guys can help me
> find some things to look at.

If you (or one of the others) has 2 machines, I'd ssh into the failing
machine, export DISPLAY=:0, start the game and see if you get any
meaningful output at the time of the lockup (X and/or the graphics card
locking up will look like the whole machine is unresponsive, even if
it's not)

Failing that if you're all using redhat 7.3 I'd try a stock kernel from
Mr L Torvalds ;) Maybe even a stock XFree. Is there anything they don't
change? Ah, the name ;)

I take it this runs things like mesa demos / rtcw / quake / tuxracer or
whatnot without problems?

If it weren't for the fact that you says others (presumably with a lot
of common factors) are having problems I'd suspect a hardware problem
too - heat and memory are probably the most common cause of random
lockups (It might be worth running the benchmarks, seeing if the crash
is really random or if it happens at exactly the same point in one or
more of them)

--
Michael.