[ut2003io] Music and Benchmarks

Matthew Arnold marnold at ez-net.com
Sat Sep 14 13:21:48 EDT 2002

Ryan C. Gordon wrote:

>> The only problem I've found with the demo is that I can't control the
>> volume of the music. I can control the volume of the other sounds just
>> fine. A minor annoyance.
>
> This is a known bug, but I didn't have a chance to track it down. If
> it's a bug in OpenAL, I'm hoping someone else will fix it for me.  :)
> At any rate, it'll be fixed for the full game (or the next patch, if we
> patch the demo.)

If nothing else, I noticed that setting it to 0 will turn off the music
when the audio mode is changed. Speaking of which, is there any real
difference between the audio mode choices in Linux (Software 3D Audio,
Hardware 3D Audio, and Hardware 3D Audio + EAX)? I don't know of any
Linux sound drivers that actually support EAX, for example. I have a
SoundBlaster Audigy and am using the latest driver release from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/emu10k1 Creative has been talking about
releasing official drivers forever, but I don't know if I'll live long
enough to see it. Switching audio modes didn't seem to make any
difference in the botmatch benchmarks.

>> Has anybody gotten benchmarking to work? I edited the
>> botmatch-citadel.bat so that it contains this:
>>
>> ../ut2003_demo
>> ctf-citadel?spectatoronly=true?numbots=12?quickstart=true -benchmark
>> -seconds=77 -exec=../Benchmark/Stuff/botmatchexec.txt %1
>>
>> The benchmark will run, but it won't write the results in the Results
>> directory, despite the fact that I made it world-writable. Thoughts?
>
> Try mkdir -p $HOME/.ut2003/Benchmark/Results and run it again. (I
> haven't tried this specifically, but all file writes should be done to
> the $HOME/.ut2003 tree).
 >
 > If that works, I'll fix it to make those dirs at runtime for the next
 > release.

That does the trick! The only caveat with the way I hacked the batch
file (I actually saved my modified version as botmatch-citadel.sh) is
that it has to be run from the Benchmarks directory from wherever the
demo is installed. I could hardcode the directory names, but then it
wouldn't work if someone installed in a different directory.

Matt