[ut2003io] Performance under Linux

Chunky Kibbles chunky at icculus.org
Sun Oct 20 04:09:41 EDT 2002

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 11:14:16PM -0400, Pascal Lalonde wrote:

> > I'm wondering, what is the output of /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status ?
> $ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
> Driver:          AGPGART
> AGP Rate:        1x
> Fast Writes:     Enabled
> SBA:             Disabled
>
> As I said, I had to set a variable in os-registry.c of the NVIDIA_kernel
> source (static int NVreg_EnableALiAGP = 1). By the way, I use the nvidia
> driver version 1.0-3123. I have to force the AGP rate to 1x in the BIOS,
> otherwise X won't even start.

OK. Just a random note, since I've now seen laods of people "editing
the source & recompiling":

chunky at chunky:~$ /sbin/modinfo NVdriver
filename:    /lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver
author:      <none>
license:     "NVIDIA"
parm:        NVreg_VideoMemoryTypeOverride int
parm:        NVreg_EnableVia4x int
parm:        NVreg_EnableALiAGP int
parm:        NVreg_ReqAGPRate int
parm:        NVreg_UpdateKernelAGP int
parm:        NVreg_EnableAGPSBA int
parm:        NVreg_EnableAGPFW int
parm:        NVreg_SoftEDIDs int
parm:        NVreg_Mobile int
parm:        NVreg_ResmanDebugLevel int
parm:        NVreg_FlatPanelMode int
parm:        NVreg_SyncCrtcs int

In other words, you can do all that voodoo you do (by editing the
source) with options to the module instead, which is probably
preferable for a great many reasons.

SO for example, to enable SBA, Fast Writes, and to allow 4x on my VIA
motherboard [an althogether stupid exercise that I urge anyone with a
VP6 to skip], I can edit /etc/modules.conf and add the line:

options NVdriver NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1 NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1 NVreg_EnableVia4x=1

General notes:
1) That way, you don't have to edit the source every time a new driver
comes out
2) You can experimtenally find out if it blows your machine out of the
water before enabling these; simply
"modprobe NVdriver NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1"
the first time. If everything goes tits-up, then no particularly great
loss. You haven't got a driver that will blow your machine away every
time it boots.
3) If one day a driver comes out that's b0rked, you can just comment
out that line until next time. No problem.

Gary (-;