Performance under Linux

Pascal Lalonde plalonde at overnet.qc.ca
Sat Oct 19 17:03:01 EDT 2002

Hi,

after reading a few messages from the archives, I realized that my low
performance with ut2003 on Linux is far from what it could be.

I noticed some messages where people say they get ~50FPS on Linux,
with something like an Athlon and GeForce2Pro. This is similar to my
system, though I get only 10-15FPS, (or 20-40 when there is no action, or
when facing an empty wall).

My system is:
Athlon 1.2gHz
256MB PC2100DDR
ASUS V7100MAGIC (GeForce2 w 32MB)
A7A266 motherboard (with the M1647 chipset)

At first I thought it could be because of my AGP (because the nvidia
driver disables AGP when faced with an M1647), which by default is
disabled under both Win32 and Linux (according to the ut2003 logfile).
Under windows, I didn't find a way to override this, but under Linux,
they say you can modify a flag in the source code to enable AGP anyway
at your own risk. That's what I did, and I managed to run the game with
AGP enabled at 1x (2x and 4x simply freeze my system). But I still get
10-15FPS most of the time (in 640x480, low details).

One strange thing though: they say that AGP is a crucial component and
without it the game will be very slow. Yet, under Windows, I get
30-60FPS, even *without* AGP, while on Linux I get my 10-15FPS *with* AGP.
I don't mean to do the usual apple vs. orange comparison, but this is
such a gap that I'm thinking there is something I do really wrong.

I thought it could've been because ut2003 writes some temporary files to
my home dir, and since my home partition is NFS-mounted, it was slowing
me down. But I get the same results using an ext3 fs.

I tried playing a little with the UT2003.ini, with things like
UseTripleBuffering, UseHardwareVS, etc. But since my performance was
altered with barely a +2-3 FPS, I set everything back to default.

Any success stories with a similar system?

(I run the demo, for now. I use kernel 2.4.19, with agpgart builtin.
I run Debian-testing, with libsdl 1.2.4-1)

Thanks,
Pascal Lalonde