[ut2003io] optimized openal.so = more speed

David Hedbor david at hedbor.org
Thu Oct 10 14:52:25 EDT 2002

"Ryan C. Gordon" <ryan at epicgames.com> writes:

>> Perhaps compiling the next patch/point release with GCC 3.2 or
>> Intel's C/C++ compiler would improve things a bit. If I interpreted
>> objdump's output correctly, the Linux client was compiled using GCC
>> 2.95.3/EGCS 2.91, wasn't it?
>
> A modified 2.95.3, specifically.
>
> gcc3 isn't stable, in my opinion, on x86 Linux yet, and I've been told
> that it doesn't offer much in terms of performance gains anyhow.

What do you base this on? For Hyperspace Delivery Boy I HAD to use gcc
3.2 because I ran into odd compiler bugs when using 2.95.3. I was
surprised by that but it's a fact - one certain bug disappeared with
gcc 3.2.

--
[ Below is a random fortune, which is unrelated to the above message. ]
Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat.