[ut2003io] AMD Systems

Matthew Arnold marnold at ez-net.com
Wed Nov 20 13:57:52 EST 2002

Robert Brandtjen wrote:

> Is anyone on the list using an AthalonXP and if so, how is the kernel bug
> for those systems (cache versus AGP). I'm thinking of building one, but
> not sure about the linux kernel problems.

I've got an Athlon XP 1800+ with an IWill XP333 mobo (ALi MAGiK1 revision
C1 chipset). I'm using the default kernel for Mandrake 9.0 (2.4.19-16mdk)
without any problems. I also used the default Athlon kernels in Red Hat 7.3
and 8.0 without any problems. I've heard of that bug, but I've never
encountered it. I know my CPU is a newer revision, so it is not affected by
the extended paging bug in older Athlons and Durons. I'm not sure if that's
the same bug or not.

The NVIDIA driver supposedly doesn't like the MAGiK's AGP implementation,
but I've never had any problems with it using AGPGART instead of NvAGP.

Matt