feature request

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Fri Aug 9 15:14:04 EDT 2002

hi forest,

begin Forest 'LordHavoc' Hale <havoc at inside3d.com>
> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> >hola,
> >
> >feature request:
> >
> >perhaps if ~/.twilight and ~/.twilight/id1 don't exist, twilight can
> >create them?  it's pretty standard to create dotfile directories the
> >first time an application is run.
>
> That bug still hasn't been fixed? Sigh.
>
> Added it as a release critical bug to TODO.

i'm working on it right now.  i hope you like what i have.

i'm also doing some small things.  like i noticed that your mkdir
returns no information about success or not.  i changed it to return
success or failure, and wrote something to catch errors.

> >btw, you have a very fine quake1 effort.  the visuals are very sweet;
> >you've done an extremely good job.  i'm hoping twilight isn't as stalled
> >as it appears to be.
>
> Work is intermittent at the moment, because knghtbrd is going to college
> soon, and Mercury is working on renderer rewrites...

after 11 years of undergrad and grad school, i feel competant enough to
say that college is over-rated.   i'll prolly be really bitter until i
get phracking phd.  if i had known that grad school was so long and
tough, i'm not sure i would've gone...

> >also, restoring saved games seems to be broken.  i can't remember if i
> >have the cvs version or 0.1.0 installed on my main gaming machine, but
> >if you're not aware of the problem, i'll figure it out.
> >
> >pete
>
> Thanks for reporting that too, also added to TODO.

this is beyond my ability right now.  i just started looking at your
code.  it *looks* like it restores a game with the player "dead".

i also started taking some notes about the code.  maybe it could be the
start of a README.hacking or something.

also, would anyone besides me find it be useful to hack the makefile to
generate a ctags file?  i can't live without ctags...

pete