[ssam] Status on SS:TSE ??

Tet sta173 at astradyne.co.uk
Fri Oct 17 18:03:47 EDT 2003

Andrew Pilley writes:

>Actually, last i heard, you'd have to convince croteam to release a
>patch to clean up their network protocol. afaik, they haven't done so
>(at least for ssamtfe, but i'm pretty sure there's similar bugs in the
>network protocol for ssamtse as well).

Rubbish. They have an existing network protocol that works. The Linux
version could be modified to use the same protocol, and hence the two
would be network compatible. The fact that they're not probably means
that the code that puts the bits on the wire made some assumptions that
hold true on Windows but not on Linux. Doing a direct port will mean
the two aren't compatible. With a little more effort, that piece of
code could be rewritten to support the same protocol as on Windows.
But Ryan's already said he's unlikely to have time to do any more
with the Serious Sam ports. More's the pity. Still, I'm grateful for
the work he has done.

>Without that, there's not a whole lot anyone can do to fix the linux
>version.

There's not a lot *anyone* except Ryan can do, since none of us have
the source code! Short of writing a proxy to convert between the two
network protocols...

Tet