[smpeg] SMPEG threading, SMPEG constructors

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Tue Jan 7 11:49:33 EST 2003

> mpeg = SMPEG_new_descr(playBuffer[0], &info, use_audio);
>
> when will it return control to my programme?

None of the SMPEG functions block...you should regain control immediately.

The decoder is multithreaded, but we're ripping this out for smpeg2 for
several reasons (MacOS 9 compatibility, etc). In that case, there'll
probably be a "SMPEG_decodeMore()" or something function you can call when
your program is idle. That's the future, though.

> 2) In the following declaration from smpeg.h, what kind of structures are
> "SDL_RWops"?

An abstraction over i/o. A RWops could be a block of memory, a file, a
network stream, etc.

http://www.kekkai.org/roger/sdl/rwops/rwops.html

--ryan.