Sim City 3000 Black screen

Chunky Kibbles chunky at icculus.org
Sat Mar 2 09:50:46 EST 2002

I'm buggered if I understand this, but:

When you load Sim City 3000, there's an intro movie, except that a lot
of people see it as just a black screen.

I've discovered that if I run sc3u.dynamic in a window, then move
another window over it so that even the tiniest bit of where the movie
is on-screen gets occluded, then the movie shows fine. If I bring SC3U
to the foreground after that, it runs fine... /until/ I move the window,
at which point it disappears again. Note that the music plays fine
throughout, no matter what.

Running the statically linked variant behaves exactly the same, except
that once the video has started actually showing [ie, I've slightly
occluded it], it doesn't go away if I then bring sc3u to the foreground
and move it about.

Running either as fullscreen causes nada to be shown, no matter what
I try.

Given all the above, I'm guessing that this is an accidental feature
of SMPEG, but I don't know how to prove it. Or even where to start
looking.

If anyone has any input on this, I'd love to hear it [something to add
to the lgfaq...]

Gary (-;