[sdlsound] OSX Woes (Intro)

E. Wing ewmailing at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 05:04:58 EDT 2005

Hi Chris,
We've talked before a couple of years back. I'm still involved in that
project we discussed before...it's just taking awhile. Anyway,
SDL_sound does work under OS X. We use it extensively. But it is a
pain to build because of all the dependencies. Basically, the trick is
building all the dependencies first, then build SDL_sound.

I had submitted a Project Builder project which is old, but contains
the basis for building SDL sound. They obviously need to be updated
badly, which I plan on getting to in the near future. I think it's
somewhere on the website or in the repository. These projects use the
framework approach to dynamic libraries so it's a little different,
but distribution is a bit easier in my opinion.

My group released a small series of patches to give SDL_sound the
ability to know the total play time of a file. We're currently using a
slightly forked version of SDL_sound because of that. I've asked Ryan
at WWDC to make a 1.1 point release containing these changes before
the push for 2.0 really ramps up, which I'm still waiting for. Once
this happens, I intend to resync and update everything.

In the meantime, if you don't mind the slight fork, I could just send
you a copy of my binaries. There are frameworks for ogg, vorbis,
mikmod, smpeg. At the very least, you could take these frameworks and
leverage them to rebuild SDL_sound to your liking.

If Ryan would like to host any of my binaries on the site, I'm open to
that. (I have a PhysFS one too.)

Anyway, let me know privately if you want me to send you the frameworks.

-Eric