[sdlsound] Beginners Tips

Tyler Montbriand tsm at accesscomm.ca
Sun Nov 7 12:49:41 EST 2004

On Thursday 04 November 2004 10:04, Chris Nelson wrote:
> Hey, Steve.
>
> The version of SDL_sound I grabbed from cvs didn't work so hot with
> msvc++ 2003, at least not right away.
>
> It took me a little while to find all its dependencies, and compile
> them, but I do have a version of SDL_sound that compiles under msvc++
> that I'd be happy to upload to an ftp site of yours, complete with all
> the dependencies.
>
> If anyone thinks this might be a good addition to cvs, or the SDL_sound
> website, let me know, and I'll send it your way.
I have noticed something very annoying about MS's latest development
environments.  Applications and libraries compiled under good 'ol VC6 work
absolutely fine under anything from w98 to winxp, but VC7 and newer insert
all kinds of brainless ".net" dependencies.  This destroys all backwards
compatibility with 95, 98, ME, etc -- the resulting dll's won't work unless
you have ".net" libraries installed, which they usually don't.  I have not
yet found any way to stop VC7 from doing this.

So, while it would be convenient to have project files etc. for the newer
visual studios available, I don't think the win32 binaries made by VC7+ are
particularly desirable.  If you have VC6, use it!  :)