time to finish painting...

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Sat Sep 28 23:27:05 EDT 2002

Half the skill required to be a painter is to know when to _stop_ painting.

That being said, I'd like to put out a 1.0 release of SDL_sound. The API
is stable, and, some minor exceptions aside, there isn't much to do, but
I'm getting hung up on things that can be safely fixed/enhanced later
without much heartbreak.

SO...if anyone is still listening, here's the gameplan:

1) Look for "FIXME" strings in the code. There's very few of them left at
this point (not counting the autoconf files, which aren't our problem).
If one of them is yours, I'd like to either get fixes, but I can live
without them for most cases (for example, shn.c's rewind method is crap,
but it's "good enough" for now).

2) Someone tell me what the current state of altcvt is, and what needs to
be done with it (and if it's worth holding up a 1.0 release for).

3) Someone tell me what the current state of the WinCE port is (I never
looked at the last codedrop that was sent, since I presumed it would be
way out of date by now, but please correct me if I'm wrong).

4) Try to ship this sometime next week. Seriously.

We're basically done, and have basically BEEN done for a long time, but
we've been putting more brushstrokes on the canvas. I tend to be way too
much of a perfectionist for my own good, and have to realize that there
will be a 1.0.1 release no matter how perfect 1.0 is anyhow.  :)

Rock and roll.

--ryan.