[sdlsound] Re: oh, btw...

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Tue May 21 06:53:52 EDT 2002

> > playsound's audio conversion code is broken unless you specify all three
> > attributes: --rate, --channels, and --format.
> Broken in what way? I didn't notice any problems with it when I tried it
> yesterday night. Where or where did I go right?!

Example case:

Run it normally, and it reports a rate of 11025, and plays as it should.

Run it like this:

 playsound --rate 11025 12345adpcm.wav

and it plays the Spice Girls like they were chipmonks, even though it
claims audio conversion is disabled.

It likely involves the channel and format fields of the "desired" struct
being set to zero (the library itself didn't like this until I patched it
to set zero'd out fields to the same value as "actual" last night). In
short, we're probably opening the audio device with bogus settings.

I should stop hypothesizing and just look at the code.  :)

> I tried fixing it but ran into crashes and out of time. Maybe I'll try
> again tonight.

I'm pretty busy for the next few days, so you won't have to worry about
conflicting patches from me. Let me know if you find anything. I haven't
heard back from Frank as to whether he's got a newer revision for us to
play with.


More information about the sdlsound mailing list