Recent change in SDL_mixer's MikMod decoder

Torbjörn Andersson torbjorn.e.andersson at tietoenator.com
Tue Jan 8 02:39:54 EST 2002

Ryan C. Gordon wrote:

 > The question is how to enable that?

I guess the best way to get the discussion going is to make sure the
situation can arise in the first place. ;-)

The included patch should:

* Make a few cleanups to the MikMod decoder
* Rename the MikMod decoder mikmod.c instead of mod.c
* Add a ModPlug decoder, modplug.c

The decoders use different prefixes for their functions, so both can be
built at the same time, though only one of them will be used for a
particular file type.

The ModPlug decoder is basically a quick hack done too late at night. It
may be buggy. It certainly doesn't even try to verify that what it's
trying to play really is a MOD file. In one test I made it tried to
decode a FLAC file, with less than stellar results. It should probably
be restricted to only play files with the extensions it knows about.

At the moment all the bells and whistles I could find in ModPlug are
turned on. We'll need to find a good cost/quality tradeoff. Since I
don't understand what most of these features are, and my computer
speakers probably aren't good enough to tell the difference in sound
quality anyway, I'll gladly leave that to someone else.

Torbjörn