Binaries for SDL_Sound... (fwd)

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Tue Feb 12 17:02:45 EST 2002

(Last one...)

--ryan.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 17:00:03 -0500 (EST)
From: Ryan C. Gordon <icculus at clutteredmind.org>
To: Dominique Louis <Dominique at SavageSoftware.com.au>
Subject: Re: Binaries for SDL_Sound...

> Does Sam create his own binaries or do other developers send them to him?

Good question. I think he maintains a good portion of them, but not all of
them.

A few more points:

1) Sam is busy, and it shows, since SDL development has slowed quite a bit
since he left Loki...this is more troublesome for binary code, since it
involves full builds and testing, as opposed to committing patches to CVS.
Note that SDL_mixer, SDL_image, etc binaries were delayed for a LONG time
(six months? Something like that...)

2) SDL_sound is evolving much more quickly than SDL (since SDL 1.2 is
done, minus little bugfixes), so binary maintainers need to be more
active. As we're in the final stretch to a 1.0 release, this will become
less of an issue in the near future.

3) Every distro works differently. Something like Debian I imagine just
needs someone to volunteer to maintain the package, whereas RedHat
probably handles package engineering internally. It's a good question, and
someone should ask. SDL itself tends to ship with everything, but it took
a LONG time (long after it became the dominant API) before it starting
showing up in distros. This is sort of Darwinian in nature, I suppose.

Anyhow, I'll pass on the conversation to the mailing list...

--ryan.