Binaries for SDL_Sound... (fwd)

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Tue Feb 12 17:01:15 EST 2002

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:51:02 -0500 (EST)
From: Ryan C. Gordon <icculus at clutteredmind.org>
To: Dominique Louis <Dominique at SavageSoftware.com.au>
Subject: Re: Binaries for SDL_Sound...

>    As SDL_Sound seems like a great project, I would like to add
> SDL_Sound support for Delphi under Windows and Kylix under Linux and of
> course FreePascal as part of the JEDI-SDL project.
> Currently JEDI-SDL supports SDL, SDL_Mixer, SDL_Image, SDL_Net and smpeg
> and we really would like to add SDL_Sound as well.

Cool!

> I was wondering where I would be able to get some Windows and Linux
> binaries for SDL_Sound so that I can create a Pascal header to the
> dll/shared object?

I'm very hesitant to support binary releases, because I'm not in a
position to keep most platforms (including win32 and non-Intel Linux) up
to date, and I don't want to play the distro game under Linux...RPMs vs
DEBs vs TGZs aside, there's glibc conflicts, the possibility that a given
library (like OggVorbis or ModPlug) doesn't exist on a system if I
dynamically link, and the LGPL nightmares if I statically link.

That being said, I see two solutions:
1) We can sit and wait for distributions to decide that SDL_sound is worth
including in their base package (hey, it might happen!), in which case
someone else is maintaining binaries, while the SDL_sound project can
concentrate on maintaining code, or

2) If someone volunteers to do REGULAR (that is, at LEAST once per formal
release, not once and never again) binary updates for a given platform, I
will provide those binaries for download on the project's webspace and
make those binary maintainer's work as comfortable as possible.

Short of that, I don't have the energy to accomplish binary maintanance,
and I doubt my other core developers do, either.

Would you mind if I forward this conversation to the sdlsound mailing
list? Someone may volunteer.

--ryan.