Autoconf working yet?

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Sun Sep 30 13:23:05 EDT 2001

> I was under the impression that a system-installed TiMidity[++] would be
> an application and not a library, which brings us back to square one
> again. (Unless you are planning on somehow using TiMidity as a filter to
> output something SDL_sound can handle. Sounds hairy to me, but that may
> be because I'm a bit out of my depth here.)

Doh.

I thought Timidity built into a library, and an application that calls
this library.

That would make more sense, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

Furthermore, the Timidity in SDL_mixer can be used under the GPL, LGPL, or
Artistic Licence, whereas Timidity++ is GPL only.

This whole situation is officially obnoxious now.

Either we will embed the classic Timidity source in SDL_sound, or we'll
have to send patches to the Timidity++ folks that seperate out the
functionality we need into a shared library, AND get permission to link
against SDL_sound/get them to relicense the library parts as LGPL.

Given those options, the reason SDL_mixer does what it does make PERFECT
sense to me, now.

--ryan.