"make package"?

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Wed Oct 10 04:14:31 EDT 2001

At 20:50 Uhr -0400 09.10.2001, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
>Max:
>
>Can you put together something like the "make package" target from the old
>SDL_sound Makefile?
>
>   (for reference:
>
>http://cvs.icculus.org/horde/chora/co.php/Attic/Makefile?sa=1&rt=SDL_sound&r=1.11
>
>)
>
>I'd like to put out a new tarball and announce on Freshmeat, but I want to
>make sure that the correct files for configuration, etc are included.

This shouldn't be a problem, as automake automatically creates a
"make dist" target that will do all of this for us.

Of course we need to tell it what files we want to include, i.e. it
will include the source and some standard file (README, COPYING etc.)
automatically, but for others I have to tell it via EXTRA_DIST -> no
big deal.

So, to build a tar ball, just go into the SDL_sound dir, and type:

   make dist

That's all.

By the way, may I request that the ChangeLog format is changed? You
don't have to adopte the FSF style, but at least new things should be
at the top. This way, when I open that file I see immediatly what is
new, and don't have to scroll down.

Also, the LICENSE file should be called COPYING to conform to the
"standard" for (L)GPL projects.

Max
Max Horn
Software Developer