Sample properties in playsound...

Torbjörn Andersson torbjorn.e.andersson at tietoenator.com
Fri Oct 5 10:34:32 EDT 2001

Ryan C. Gordon wrote

 > NewSampleFromFile() is just a convenience function; if you need to
 > specify something different ("mysound.bin" is really an MP3 file, for
 > example), then you should do:
 >
 >   SDL_RWops *rw = SDL_RWFromFile("mysound.bin", "rb");
 >   Sound_Sample *sample = Sound_NewSample(rw, "MP3", desired, bufsize);

Yes, that makes sense. What I was thinking was that maybe it would make
sense to have something like

    $ playsound --ext MP3 foobar.gif

just for testing purposes. Then again, maybe not...

 > My thought is that with decoders like RAW, if no desired format is
 > specified, than the decoder's open() method fails; we can pick a
 > sensible default, but if that sensible default is wrong, you get a lot
 > of jarring noise; I'd rather have the decoder politely refuse.

Ok, so only the MOD and MIDI decoders need fixing to handle the NULL
case? Does the included - untested - patch look sensible?

Torbjörn Andersson