FLAC decoder (and a playsound.c bug)

Torbjörn Andersson torbjorn.e.andersson at tietoenator.com
Fri Nov 9 02:25:46 EST 2001

With a big, scary deadline looming at work, I haven't had the time or
the energy to do much with SDL_sound. I hope this will change now that
the deadline is gone (but not forgotten).

Lately, I've been trying to teach SDL_sound to handle FLAC. The
documentation is a bit scant, but the day before yesterday I finally got
approximately the sound I wanted from it, instead of hissing and SDL
parachutes.

But only approximately. I was getting an annoying ticking sound
throughout the whole playback, which I think I've finally tracked down
to a bug in playsound.c. (Perhaps we ought to leave the playsound bug a
bit longer because I managed to simplify flac.c a bit while searching
there for the bug. ;-)

Unfortunately, I suck at autoconf (someone has to, I guess), so I was
never able to automagically link libFLAC into SDL_sound, let alone check
for the existence of libFLAC. Other than that, integrating it into
SDL_sound ought to be straightforward.

Torbjörn Andersson