NASA ADS?

meyer User meyer at rice.edu
Thu Oct 2 14:33:45 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I am new to Referencer, and plug-in programming as well.  I hope this is
not an inappropriate forum to ask, but has anyone looked into getting
meta-data from ADS?  I am an astrophysicist, so ArxiV does have a lot of
the papers I read, but I have 3 reasons for preferring ADS for my
papers:

1) Quality - Arxiv frequently has only a pre-print instead of the
published paper.

2) Diversity - You can find conference abstracts and other types of
articles besides published papers, plus I believe the diversity of
journals is much larger.

3) Metadata appears to be more complete, plus useful things like
abstracts and also-referenced. (and keywords!! would be useful)

Right now, if I downloaded the paper originally from ADS, referencer
does not find any metadata for it.

I am a scientific programmer (C, Perl, Fortran), but I would be willing
to learn and write a plugin that deals with ADS if anyone can tell me if
that is possible.  I have not seen anything mentioned on the archive of
this mailing list so far.

Here is an example of an article page:
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2008ApJ...677..906F

Again, I know little about this so I apologize if this is an
inappropriate place to ask.

Eileen