[referencer] Default folder for files

jcspray at icculus.org jcspray at icculus.org
Thu Oct 2 05:08:32 EDT 2008

Quoting Miguel Pagano <miguel.pagano at gmail.com>:
>> I'm not sure in what sense you're using "attributes" -- currently there
>> are things like <manage_target> and the aforementioned <library_folder>
>> which map to the manage_target_ and library_folder_uri_ members of the
>> Library class in src/Library.h.  A more general mechanism would be
>> possible, but since special-case behaviour in the GUI is required for
>> anything like that I would question the utility of a generalised
>> mechanism -- I prefer to define XML tags rather than defining valid
>> values for a generic map.  But perhaps I'm not understanding you
>> correctly.
>
> Attribute in my sentence has two meanings: an attribute in the XML
> file and this attribute seen as a member in the corresponding class.
> Sorry for being ambiguous. With respect of using attributes or tags, I
> think that a path looks like something which should be in an attribute.
> Again it seems that I've overlooked some things or that the source
> I've get from debian is not up-to-date.

To be honest, I didn't put a lot of through into whether it should be
an attribute or a tag.  For a monitored directory (the
'library_folder'), I would stick with a tag for the following reasons:
  * A library might monitor more than one directory
  * Multiple monitored directories might have varying properties such
as a glob for which kinds of files to include.

A download directory is clearly a singular thing, and I can't imagine
it having extra properties, so it could very well be an attribute.  I
am no XML purist, so whichever way it's done won't upset me.

Having had that little internal debate I now realise that a monitored
directory and a download directory ought to be distinct locations.
Perhaps at this stage it has become worthwhile to have a single
"Library Properties" dialog or so, for the following settings:
  * Managed bibtex file
  * Monitored directory
  * Download directory

Aside from the directory configuration, another very nice thing to
have would be some logic in the download process to recognise whether
something is a document file, or metadata like a bibtex file.

John