Suggestions and proposals

Mario Castro mariocastro73 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 09:56:37 EST 2008

Hi all

First, I'd like to say that latest releases of Referencer are getting better
and better. Thanks to all the contributors.

I would like to tell you a couple of ideas I've been thinking about lately.
This some like a wish list.

a) Does referencer detect duplicated documents? For instance, if one
drag-and-drops a pdf on referencer, referencer detect that it is a duplicate
if it has the same name and location, but, could be tuned to detect also if
it is actually the same file (from metadata or file-size for instance)?

b) I think a good point would be to have "Import directory" utility. Thus
referencer could add a tag with the name of the directory to all the PDF's
inside it. This would help to index one's personal article collection in a
very simple way. This in combination with a) could allow to, from time to
time, drag and drop the folder in order to add only the new files in that
folder.

c) Another suggestion is the reverse of b),namely, that you could export
those entries with the PDF linked to them, to a folder with the name of
chosen tag (this could help to share documents among researchers)

Besides this suggestions, I'm collecting some ideas to develop (using
hopefully other open source software) a semantic plugin for referencer. This
semantic plugin could help to find similar articles to a chosen one based on
the information in its fields (preferentially the abstract field). I
borrowed this idea from a social network called Research Gate which provides
a similar tool. I haven't written yet any line of code, but I hope that I
would begin to do it lately this year.

By.