[referencer] Re: Plugin for fetching data from Isi-WebOfScience

Michael Banck mbanck at gmx.net
Sun Mar 9 14:45:47 EDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 02:15:25PM +0000, John Spray wrote:
> What I don't understand about this web of science plugin is that it only
> seems to do anything when you already have at least the author, title
> and year: so what is web of science giving you in addition to that?  In
> any case, the get metadata structure is designed so that referencer can
> call plugins automatically when adding documents, and clearly when some
> metadata is already required this isn't the right time to invoke it.

This is probably because you cannot easily access a specific publication
in WOS - you always need to issue a search and hope you get only one
hit.  If WOS supports searching based on DOI, this would be preferred.

What the WOS plugin gives you is additional information like volume,
journal and additional authors, plus extra fields like abstract etc.

Michael