[referencer] Re: Plugin for fetching data from Isi-WebOfScience

John Spray jcspray at icculus.org
Sun Mar 9 10:15:25 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 15:42 +0100, Mario Castro wrote:

>         Why is the plugin not hooking into the "Get Metadata"
>         mechanism?  On the
>         other hand, the plugin seems to require title, author and
>         year, so if all you have is a DOI, you'd need to hit Get
>         Metadata twice I guess, which is not very intuitive, either.

> I agree with you but I'm new in referencer and in python. I don't know
> how to do it. Maybe someone with more experience could tell us how.

The way the "Get metadata" stuff is structured is such that each plugin
publishes a list of ID formats that it understands (pubmed, doi, etc),
and when tyring to get the metadata for a paper referencer tries to
resolve an ID to the metadata.

What I don't understand about this web of science plugin is that it only
seems to do anything when you already have at least the author, title
and year: so what is web of science giving you in addition to that?  In
any case, the get metadata structure is designed so that referencer can
call plugins automatically when adding documents, and clearly when some
metadata is already required this isn't the right time to invoke it.

Perhaps you can describe the use-case/workflow in which the plugin would
be used; when should the plugin be invoked on behalf of the user?

John