[referencer] problems when importing bibtex entries

Brice Goglin Brice.Goglin at ens-lyon.org
Mon Mar 5 09:58:12 EST 2007

John Spray wrote:
> Hmm, when I import this snippet from a UTF-8 encoded file, it works but
> the ß and so on get manged.

I should have chosen another example, these German character could
confuse the discussion :)

I don't have any problem with these special characters here. After
searching a little bit, I found out that the failure is caused by the
double-dash in the institution:
  INSTITUTION = { University of Erlangen-Nürnberg -- Computer Science
Department - Operating Systems - {IMMD IV} },
    => fails
  INSTITUTION = { University of Erlangen-Nürnberg - Computer Science
Department - Operating Systems - {IMMD IV} },
    => works

Apart from this problem, I finally manage to locate where my other
failing entries had a problem. It seems that Referencer does not like
having a quote in the publisher or booktitle field. I had several
entries with "O'Reilly" or "Developer's" in the publisher or booktitle
field, this get accepted once I remove the quote. Having a quote in the
title or author does not seem to cause any problem. Here are the failing
entries, in case you want to look at it:

@misc{ braam99intermezzo,
  author = "Peter Braam Braam",
  title = "{T}he {I}nter{M}ezzo {F}ile {S}ystem",
  booktitle = "Proceedings of the O'Reilly Perl Conference 3",
  year = "1999",
  url = "http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/braam99intermezzo.html"
}

@Book{ bovet03understanding,
  author = {Daniel P. Bovet and Marco Cesati},
  title = "{U}nderstanding the {L}inux {K}ernel, {S}econd {E}dition",
  publisher = "O'Reilly",
  year = 2003,
  isbn = "0-596-00213-0",
}

@Book{ love04linux,
  author = {Robert Love},
  title = "{L}inux {K}ernel {D}evelopment",
  publisher = "Developer's Library, Sams Publishing",
  year = 2004,
  isbn = "0-672-32512-8",
}

All of them have been used in earlier publications without ever getting
a problem with bibtool or bibtex from what I remember. I don't how
whether Referencer uses its own parser or something common to
bibtex/bibtool anyway...

> What is your LANG environment variable set to?  What encoding is the
> bibtex file in?

I don't know if it matters anymore, but in case it does:

I don't have any LANG set. I just have the following config:
LANG=
LC_CTYPE=fr_FR at euro
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME=fr_FR at euro
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER="POSIX"
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=

Setting LANG to en_US before starting referencer does not seem to help
anyway.

By the way, it would be great to display the parsing error in the error
window instead of in the terminal :)

thanks a lot,
Brice