[referencer] problems when importing bibtex entries

John Spray jcspray at icculus.org
Mon Mar 5 08:38:10 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 14:04 +0100, Brice Goglin wrote:
> I am trying Referencer since it looks very promising. While importing my
> existing bibtex files, I always get an error "Invalid byte sequence in
> conversion input - This problem was encountered while parsing import".
> For instance, when the file contains:
>
> @TECHREPORT{LocalUserSched,
>   AUTHOR = { Martin Steckermeier and Frank Bellosa },
>   TITLE = { Using Locality Information in Userlevel Scheduling },
>   INSTITUTION = { University of Erlangen-Nürnberg -- Computer Science
> Department -- Operating Systems -- {IMMD IV} },
>   YEAR = 1995,
>   NUMBER = { TR-95-14 },
>   NOTE = { \url{mstecker at informatik.uni-erlangen.de}
> \url{bellosa at informatik.uni-erlangen.de} },
>   ADDRESS = { Martensstraße 1, 91058 Erlangen, Germany },
>   MONTH = DEC,
>   DAY = 23,
> }

Hmm, when I import this snippet from a UTF-8 encoded file, it works but
the ß and so on get manged.  When I save it as an iso-8859-1 file it
just works, output on the console like:
"""
Publisher =  University of Erlangen-Nürnberg – Computer Science
Department – Operating Systems – IMMD IV (0)
Note =  \urlmstecker at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
\urlbellosa at informatik.uni-erlangen.de (0)
Address =  Martensstraße 1, 91058 Erlangen, Germany (0)
Month = DEC(0)
Day = 23(0)
"""

What is your LANG environment variable set to?  What encoding is the
bibtex file in?

Regards,
John