[referencer] Another desired feature: commandline processor

John Spray jcspray at icculus.org
Tue Apr 17 06:30:04 EDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-15 at 14:53 -0400, Michael R. Head wrote:
> I'd like to integrate referencer into my latex build. Right now, I have
> to remember to manually export to bibtex inside Referencer. What I'd
> prefer is to have a commandline tool that I can add to my makefile so I
> can do something like this:
>
> %.bib: %.reflib
> 	ref2bib --reflib=$< --bib=$@ --tag=paper
>
> Or something along those lines. If I get a chance after all the paper
> deadlines I'm facing this month, I might take a look at it, but I
> figured I'd put the idea out there and see if there's any interest.

The Plan(tm) for this functionality is to have a "Manage BibTeX file"
function, which causes referencer to write to a certain bibtex file
every time the reflib file is saved, keeping it magically up to date.
I've been meaning to write this for a while...

The reason for doing this rather than having the command line tool is
that it's a bit more general: for instance LyX users wouldn't have a
Makefile the way LaTeX users would, but would still want this kind of
functionality.  Having said that, anyone who wants to code up a
'ref2bib' should find it trivial, as simple as a Library::load and a
Library::writeBibtex.

John