[quake3] Quake 3 Raytracing Patch

monk at rq3.com monk at rq3.com
Fri Mar 7 14:10:13 EST 2008

>> And finally the lighting is of course very different and sometimes
>> not what
>> you would expect. Considering that quake3 was never meant to be
>> raytraced
>> this is understandable.
>
> Actually it has been done, with quite success:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpNZt3yDXno

I had wondered about that.  However:

http://graphics.cs.uni-sb.de/~sidapohl/egoshooter/

No source for downloading.  And I don't think that's Quake 3.  It's just
using Q3 assets.  Under "about":

"The game engine was written from scratch..."

They use http://www.openrt.de/ for their raytracing engine, I guess, and
just load Q3 stuff.  Kinda like those Quake 1 projects that can load Q3 or
Doom 3 assets.

This is the first RT project I've seen that adds an additional renderer to
an existing game engine and the first one that I've seen opensores.
OpenRT sure as 'eck ain't opensores...

So kudos, you RT renderer codin' guy!  Thanks!

Monk.