ioq3 1.35?

monk at rq3.com monk at rq3.com
Tue Jan 8 19:59:05 EST 2008

So what needs to be done before 1.35 is officially built and released?

Looks like it's now running on the most platforms ever.  Just a few
hangups about the bot library on Solaris and QVM compatibility on linux
PPC and 64-bit intel?  Or something to that effect.  I see 48 open bugs in
bugzilla which seems pretty good as only few of them seem like
showstoppers or critical bugs that crash ioq3 and melt your CPU.

There's no real ioq3 roadmap anymore that I can see, but from what I
remember the main additional features were ipv6 (which was made and due to
be revisited after unix and win net code got merged, which it did?) and
4-player split-screen, which would be awesome if someone ported ioq3 to
Dreamcast or some other console.  I think DC has both a NetBSD port and a
Linux port of some type, so it might be feasible if the hardware is
powerful enough.  Other than that I can't think of why you'd want 4-player
on a PC; just doesn't seem social enough (versus a couch and TV) nor have
the proper controller support (4 mice and keyboards versus 4 gamepads?).

It seems like people are running out of bugs to fix, unless ioq3 is ported
to some new OS's or architectures?

Anyway, I'm just curious.  It seems like a ton of work has been done in
the last few months to expand the compatible OS/hardware base and squash
some of the few bugs that remained.  Last public releases were svn
850-950-ish on the ioq3 website.  A 1.35 seems like it'd give projects a
solid place to sync to, codewise.  Seems psychologically more soothing
somehow than 1.34 r1252.

Monk.