[quake3] toggleconsole everywhere

Tony J. White tjw at webteam.net
Thu Feb 28 10:35:58 EST 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 03:07:21PM +0100, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> I can only use the toggleconsole key within a game and I have to manually
> enter \toggleconsole to leave the console. This is kinda awkward, because
> I'm
> used to use the console to switch matches, connect to games adjust the
> graphics settings and so on. Many of these things are better done before
> joining a game.
>
> I suppose bound keys are only being listened to during a match. This is
> completely logical, except for the toggleconsole key. My preferred solution
> would be a new bind command. Something like bindstrong for bindings that are
> always listened to. This way I could run all my useful little scripts
> without
> first joining a game, put my favourite servers on keys and so on.

This is a hairy issue since when you're typing in the console you wouldn't
be able to unbind any keys that were currently bound to toggleConsole.

I'm guessing that the only reason you have noticed this is because ioq3
treats the built-in toggleConsole key differntly than id q3.  Instead
of using the keyboard scancode like id ioquake3 did, we look for
the '~' character which may be in a different place on your keyboard.

To counter this change we have added an built-in key sequence to
control toggleConsole: Shift-Esc.  This also has the added benefit
of being a lot easier to explain to people than saying "whatever key
is up in the top left area of the keys but not the very top row and
if your keyboard is like mine it is a "*console closes*

-Tony