[quake3] Supported protocols

Thilo Schulz arny at ats.s.bawue.de
Sun Apr 20 06:25:38 EDT 2008

On Sonntag, 20. April 2008, Mariusz Przybylski wrote:
>   As Chris wrote, I just want to play on older protocol via ioq3. You
> may call it backward compatibility. In my opinion - because ioq3 doesn't
> offer any *point releases* or that kind of thing - it should be done to
> maintain real usability and to realize one of ioq3's main goals:

[...]

Don't believe what that Bunting guy says, because he is clueless. Protocol
1.32 vs. 1.16  or 1.17 are inherently incompatible. 1.32 does use huffman
encoding to compress data, 1.17 uses a different algorithm to do some basic
compression.
I have written the EliteForce patch which lets you connect to original
EliteForce servers. These use that protocol version of about the 1.17 point
release, and I had to write support for it. If you're interested, you can
look at that stuff and try to adapt it so it works with the older quake3
versions. However, there are some hurdles to overcome:
There might still be differences in the two protocols regarding the order in
which the data fields are sent. If, let's say, the message part for shooting
a weapon is 4 bits long, for jumping 6 bits long, and the engine expects the
jumping message but for real the shoot command was sent, it will still read
only the 4 bits thinking it's the shooting message, so all subsequent bits
are shifted and it just goes to hell.

To make one thing crystal clear: An older protocol version than the one of
1.32 is not and will never be supported by official ioquake3. You can have
this as separate patch if you get it to work, but right now none of the
developers here are interested in doing this for you. If you want it, do it
yourself.

--
Thilo Schulz