[quake3] Supported protocols

Mariusz Przybylski pay7n at o2.pl
Fri Apr 18 13:10:47 EDT 2008

Hi,

Which protocols ioq3 currently supports ? Yesterday i've tried to
connect to one of the NoGhost 1.16n servers, and received wrong protocol
error.

Currently NoGhost is 3rd most played q3 mod today, right after Urban
Terror and CPMA. However it uses protocol version 43 (point release
1.16n) thus forbidding ioq3 to connect.

What I thought of is that it would be a very good idea to give a support
for older protocols (like 1.16, 1.31 etc.), to make ioq3 client actually
USEFUL for real gameplay. I don't really know how much work it would
take to have multiple network codebases, but surely it would pay off, by
gaining more players' attention, not only developers. And there are at
least half hundred players on 1.16 platform.

Would it be possible to have older protocol(s) supported? And if yes, by
what means?

--Mario

---
[Attachement]