[quake3] Greetings

Ludwig Nussel ludwig.nussel at suse.de
Sun Apr 6 14:48:49 EDT 2008

Thilo Schulz wrote:
> On Sonntag, 6. April 2008, webmaster at groundplan.com wrote:
> > Bottom line is this. We want to do a stand-alone game. We will not need
> > access to any of the Id assets so therefore id's pk3 files are not needed.
>
> Actually, the ioquake3 binary supports running games without having the id
> assets. You just need to +set fs_game   to whatever your main directory
> happens to be.

Exactly. If you use a startscript/desktop icon etc a user won't
notice the difference. There is also an option to use a custom
master server so you don't have to use id's. We could add more such
run time configuration option if there is need for it (e.g
application window title, icon...).

Personally I'd like to see some central tool that looks similar to
loki-demos where a user can browse/download/install/run mods for
ioquake3.

As contributor to ioquake3 I am of course biased, I really hate if I
fix something in ioquake3 then want to play some ioq3 based game and
still have the bug there.

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel
 //\   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Development