[quake3] IPv6 support

Thilo Schulz arny at ats.s.bawue.de
Sat Apr 5 09:39:46 EDT 2008

On Samstag, 5. April 2008, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
> It probably makes sense to have a compile time switch to disable
> ipv6 support if needed. That would also help on platforms where
> it likely takes some time until someone provides working code like
> on Solaris.

I'd really like to avoid that, for this reason:
I have replaced many deprecated functions, like gethostbyname() by
getaddrinfo() which is not supported by the old winsock.h.. that means if we
really wanted to support that MinGW configuration of yours, we'd need to keep
a separate code path to include the old deprecated gethostbyname().

We don't want that.

IPv6 is supported by every operating system ioquake3 builds on today. That
means that if it is unable to build, your userland headers, etc. are too old.
Even MinGW should include these .h files by now, either your MinGW
installation is too old, or, maybe we just need to set a #define on MinGW to
turn them on.

--
Thilo Schulz