[quake3] Re: Videos not found :[

Erik Kloppenburg kloppenburg at snt.utwente.nl
Mon Sep 17 11:00:40 EDT 2007

Tim Angus wrote:
> Thing is, the per-game-user-directory /is/ primarily meant for settings
> and extra data (i.e. q3config.cfg and 3rd party pk3s). It's /also/ used
> for screenshots, demos and videos which might live more appropriately
> under "My Documents".

Even configs and pk3-data are considered very 'normal' for gamers to
access oftenly in q3. It's not like config files for usual applications
that should be hidden and not often accessed directly. So everything
should be easily accessible in my opinion.

> Basically it comes down to CSIDL_APPDATA or CSIDL_PERSONAL. One
> consideration is CSIDL_PERSONAL is less well supported by older versions
> of Windows. If it becoming the defacto standard we should maybe be using
> it... I'm not really sure either way.

These older versions of windows probably have less support for multiple
users anyway, so if CSIDL_PERSONAL fails, it could just use basepath.

Anyway, a selection at installation (choosing basepath or
CSIDL_PERSONAL) would be great I think.